Oh hello, fellow witches! It’s officially the beginning of October, which means it’s time to get spooky with our favorite sisters: Winifred, Sarah, and… the one that uses a vacuum as a broom. Just kidding, Mary — we would never forget you!
Hocus Pocus DEFINED the 90s/early-2000s for many of us, especially when the Halloween season rolled around. And fun fact: the movie script was bought by Disney in 1984 and the film was supposed to be named “Disney’s Halloween House.” It was also almost directed by Steven Spielberg until he found out Disney was at the helm of the project.
Not sure what Steve’s beef is with Disney and we all love the Spiels, but let’s be real, we’re thankful he turned down this opportunity of a lifetime and it was taken over by Kenny Ortega (the director of Newsies, for my musical nerds out there).
From there, it’s all history! The cast was cast, the film filmed, and our lives were made better forever. And what better way to honor one of the best movies ever made than with a spooktacular drinking game!
From many years of watching Hocus Pocus and many years of drinking, I’ve come up with the ultimate Hocus Pocus drinking game rules for your next viewing party.
So enough chit chat, the clock till sunrise is ticking and I smell children!
Take One Sip When
- Someone says “Sanderson Sisters”
- Someone sings
- Someone flies on a broom
- Someone casts a spell that rhymes
- Dani says “Binx”
- Max says “Dani” exasperatedly
- Book blinks
- Winifred mourns her book OR calls for her book with a long “O” (i.e. BoooOOOOOOOOOOk)
- Winifred says “Thackery” (we all know she says it best!)
Take Two Sips When
- Someone says “Hocus Pocus”
- Alison is objectified
- Ice is mentioned by name
- The sisters smell children
- You hear the word “Virgin”
- Sarah Sanderson flirts with someone (whether they’re a willing or unwilling participant)
- Winifred becomes annoyed with one of her sisters
- Someone says a joke that probably went over your head as a child (My favorite example: when Wini says, “We desire children” and the Bus Driver replies, “Hey, it may take me a couple of tries, but I don’t think there’s gonna be a problem.”)
Finish Your Drink When
- The witches are tricked by modern technology
- The witches capture a child (yes, Ice and his friend count. And also yes, this counts as Ice getting mentioned by name. Let’s start this game up already!)
I think that will just about do it! If you’re looking for something fun to drink while playing this game, here’s a list of 10 Hocus Pocus themed drinks and 10 spooky bottles of wine for some eerie inspiration.
As always, be responsible, have fun, and stay spooky, friends! Happy Halloween!