Hi friends!! Since you’re here, I’ll assume you already know I’m Rachel. But if not, HIIII… I’m Rachel! Home bartender, nondiscriminatory wine enthusiast, and cocktail developer.
About Outside The Wine Box
On Outside The Wine Box, all of the content is written by me (Rachel), but I develop most of my cocktail recipes with my partner Ethan, who’s both an incredible bartender and software developer! We live in Durham, North Carolina with our two sweet and sassy guinea pigs: Poppy and Peppy.
Over the years, I’ve worked as a…
- Wine sales rep/educator
- Bar events manager
- Owner of a mystery-themed beer tour
You can see there’s a common thread between all of these jobs. And that thread is booze 😂
I started Outside The Wine Box so I could write about what I love: wine, liqueurs, spirits, and cocktail recipes. Initially, I mostly wrote boxed wine reviews and about wine education, but the topics on the blog have evolved with my own passions. Nowadays as Ethan’s love of all things cocktails and bartending has rubbed off on me and I’ve learned the ins and outs of mixology, I’ve shifted my focus to cocktail recipes and development.
So you could say I’ve REALLY gone outside the wine box at this point, but I still have the same mission: to share my passions with others — be it wine or cocktails — in an approachable, unpretentious way.
On Outside The Wine Box you can expect:
- Tried and tested original and classic cocktail recipes that anyone can make.
- Liqueur/spirit guides and recipe roundups
- Wine education and quippy reviews
So if you’re looking for uncomplicated, thoughtful cocktail recipes, unpretentious liqueur and spirit guides, or want to know if a box of wine is worth buying, this is the place for you!
Quick facts about me
If that wasn’t enough information about me, here are a few of my favorite things!
- Favorite wine: I lived in France for a stint, worked with a French wine importer, and taught classes on French wine, so I am ALL about the French wines. If I had to choose, I’d say my fave white is a Vouvray and my favorite red is a nice right bank Bordeaux.
- Favorite liqueur: Yellow Chartreuse because it tastes like the golden hour and speaks to the boujee 60 year old French lady within me 😂
- Favorite cocktail: The original Mai Tai! It’s nutty, fruity, tart, balanced, and showcases the best Caribbean rum… what’s not to love!?
- Favorite spirit: This is a tough one, but I think I have to choose rum since there are SO many different types and the cocktail variations/possibilities are endless.
Alright, that’s all for today, folks! Cheers!